JumpStartPhilly Jumpinar - DataAnalytics for Philly
Notes on the demo Kris did during the ZipCodeWilmington tech portion. 24 January 2022
These were just used to show how much info there is out there.
- Market Stats https://philly.curbed.com/2017/4/7/15209526/philadelphia-housing-rental-statistics-pew-report
- Redfin - https://www.redfin.com/city/15502/PA/Philadelphia/housing-market
BUT I particularly liked these Aaron Kreider Maps: http://www.campusactivism.org/philly/value.php
- NOTICE this site also has a number of other maps views along the bottom of the pages here.
But then a really good site for Data related to housing in the City of Philadelphia: Property web site: https://property.phila.gov/
Getting a handle on a property and its neighborhood
Sample of Data Analytics for a target property
- square footage property values for houses near by
- there are some analytics you can do
- Use Property web site to produce CSV files of property local/near to the address you are researching
- a CSV file (“comma separated values”) is a common data file and one that can be used in lots of ways.
- Property allows you to find the values of a specific property you are investigating
you can then get the CSV file and put it into Google Sheets to tinker with.
- look at the rows with $1 transfer values as they will skew the averages. you might consider removing those rows.
add averages to the formulas in the cells at the bottom of the sheet.
- to learn how to do that, here is a tutorial on averaging data in a column https://www.lifewire.com/google-spreadsheets-average-function-3123872
- average property value by adding a formula to the cell at the bottom of the column
- DIVIDE average value by square footage
- can give you per-ft2 number for your other project financials
- can help you decide which properties meet your risk profile.
Data Engineering Tools
Google Sheets is decent.
The easiest way is to get a gmail account (for free, if you don’t have one)
- look for Create account link
- lets you use google sheets and save docs there
PHA Lottery Properties:
Can be used as samples for the links above. These addresses were taken from the PHS Lottery of last December.
2933 W MASTER ST
3033 W STILES ST
3041 W STILES ST
623 W JEFFERSON ST
3222 N ETTING ST
63 E SEYMOUR ST